The Fifth Xiamen Symposium on Marine Environmental Sciences (XMAS-V, https://melmeeting.xmu.edu.cn/xmas5/) will be held in Xiamen, China from Jan 11th to 14th, 2021. The Local Organizing Committee (LOC) is pleased to announce the call for session/mini workshop proposals.
Theme of XMAS-V
Multidisciplinary Sciences Serving a Sustainable and Healthy Ocean
Proposal Submission Timeline
- July 31, 2020 Session/Mini Workshop Proposal Submission Closes
- Limited financial support will be available for each session to subsidize travel and accommodation expenses of two to three conveners and/or invited speakers.
- Application for financial support should be submitted along with session proposals.
- Session proposals with broader themes and larger scales are preferred. Session proposals with strong overlaps will likely be merged, to minimize repetition and to build a program with sessions that are fewer but larger and stronger.
- If a session has less than 10 accepted abstracts, the SAC/LOC reserves the right to merge it with another session.
- Mini workshop should focus on hot topics or emerging research areas. At least 3 speakers must be included in a proposal.
- Co-conveners are preferably from different institutions.
- Co-conveners are encouraged to submit abstracts to their own sessions as well as other sessions.
- The SAC/LOC may request revisions to some proposals.
- Session/mini-workshop conveners' scheduling requests will be considered by SAC/LOC but cannot be guaranteed. The actual time allocation will vary according to the number of accepted abstracts. Sessions/mini-workshops can be scheduled from Monday (Jan 11) evening to Tuesday (Jan 14) afternoon.
Information Required in the Proposals
- Relevance to the theme of XMAS-V
- Session/Mini-workshop Title
- Session/Mini-workshop Description – maximum 400 words, including focus, scope and objectives
- Name, affiliation and email of each co-convener
- Name, affiliation and email of invited and proposed speakers (if any)
- Name of speakers and/or the conveners for financial support and the budget
How to Submit Session Proposals
Please submit your proposal to the LOC via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) by July 31, 2020.
If you have any questions, please contact the LOC via email.
About the Conference
To promote interdisciplinary studies in marine environmental science and to foster the next generation of ocean scientists, the State Key Laboratory of Marine Environmental Science (MEL), Xiamen University initiated the Xiamen Symposium on Marine Environmental Sciences (XMAS) in 2014, with the overarching theme The Changing Ocean Environment: From a Multidisciplinary Perspective. XMAS has grown to be one of Asia’s largest conferences in marine sciences and acts as a hot spot to exchange research interests in global and regional oceans.
Its fifth iteration, XMAS-V will be held in Xiamen from January 11th to 14th, 2021. XMAS-V will focus on how Multidisciplinary Sciences Can Serve a Sustainable and Healthy Ocean. It will be one of the important hallmarks of Xiamen University’s centenary celebrations. The symposium will consist of different, interconnected sessions covering physical oceanography, marine biogeochemistry, biological oceanography, and marine ecotoxicology along with workshops for emerging topics in marine environmental sciences such as how to achieve the goals outlined in the United Nations Decade of Ocean Science for Sustainable Development (2021-2030).
Confirmed Keynote Speakers (To be updated)
Claudia Benitez-Nelson, University of South Carolina, U.S.A.
Karen Evans, CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere, Tasmania, Australia, Australia
Guibin Jiang, State Key Laboratory of Environmental Chemistry and Ecotoxicology, China
Zunli Lu, Syracuse University, U.S.A.
Alessandro Tagliabue, University of Liverpool, U.K.
Scientific Advisory Committee
Chair: Minhan Dai
Eric Achterberg, Robert Aller, Chris Bowler, Annalisa Bracco, Denise Breitburg, Fei Chai, Robert Chen, Jianping Gan, Zhengtang Guo, Eileen Hofmann, Nianzhi Jiao, Paul Lam, Kitack Lee, Ya-Wei Luo, Lisa Miller, Lim Phaik Eem, Bo Qiu, Carol Robinson, Hiroaki Saito, Benoit Thibodeau, Fabrice Veron, Mark Wells, Wenxi Zhu
Organizers and Sponsors
State Key Laboratory of Marine Environmental Science, Xiamen University
Department of Earth Sciences, National Natural Science Foundation of China
China-ASEAN College of Marine Sciences
Chinese Society of Oceanography
College of Earth, Ocean, and Environment, University of Delaware, U.S.A.
College of Ocean and Earth Sciences, Xiamen University
College of the Environment and Ecology, Xiamen University
CSIRO Oceans and Atmosphere, Tasmania, Australia
Frontiers Science Center for Ocean Carbon Sink and Climate Change, Xiamen University
Hokkaido University, Japan
Hong Kong University of Science and Technology
Institute of Ocean and Earth Sciences, University of Malaya, Malaysia
IOC Sub-Commission for the Western Pacific
Program in Ocean Science and Engineering, Georgia Tech, U.S.A.
School of Marine and Atmospheric Sciences at Stony Brook University, U.S.A.
School of Marine Sciences, University of Maine, U.S.A.
State Key Laboratory in Marine Pollution, City University of Hong Kong
State Key Laboratory of Satellite Ocean Environment Dynamics
Surface Ocean - Lower Atmosphere Study
Swire Institute of Marine Science, The University of Hong Kong
Taiwan Ocean University
Local Organizing Committee
Chair: Ya-Wei Luo
Member: Zhimian Cao, Yongxiang Huang, Xing Jian, Xin Lin, Jian Ma, Dalin Shi, Shanlin Wang, Siqi Wu and Wei Zhuang
Ms. Ying Huang