The 2018 Summer School on Marine Environment and Fishery Resources under Global Change is jointly organized by National Taiwan Ocean University (NTOU), Xiamen University (XMU), the City University of Hong Kong (CityU) and Peking University (PKU), which is to be held in Keelung from 5-14 July.
The State Key Laboratory of Marine Environmental Science (MEL) of XMU and the State Key Laboratory in Marine Pollution (SKLMP), CityU have co-organized six summer schools since 2008, which were well attended by over 570 participants from 14 countries and received very encouraging feedbacks.
The Summer School series aim to provide participants the fundamental concepts, latest development and current update on the rapidly growing field of environmental science and pollution research. The course is relevant and useful for postgraduates and professional working on the areas of environmental science, pollution and public health. Limited quota is available for senior undergraduates intended to work on these research areas.
The theme of Summer School 2018 is on “Marine Environment and Fishery Resources under Global Change”, which is a multidisciplinary subject of global concern. We continue our mission to provide high quality, interactive teaching and learning experiences (including lectures, field trips, student presentation) to our participants. The Summer School acts as a platform to nurture young scientists via direct interaction and discussion with world-class lecturers in the field. It also provides participants a valuable opportunity for career advancement, personal enrichment and development of social awareness and responsibility to the environment.
Previous Summer School Series:
• “Ecotoxicology” in 2008, Xiamen;
• “Eutrophication (HAB) and Environmental Impact Assessment” in 2009, Xiamen;
• “Environmental and Human Health: Impact Assessment” in 2010, Hong Kong;
• “Emerging Environmental Problems and Risk Assessment” in 2012, Xiamen.
• “Environment and Health Summer School - Oceans and Human Health” in 2014, Hong Kong, Shenzhen and Zhuhai.
• “Marine Environmental Health and Safety” in 2016, Xiamen
• Center of Excellence for the Ocean, NTOU
• State Key Laboratory in Marine Pollution (SKLMP), CityU
• Department of Biology and Chemistry (BCH), CityU
• State Key Joint Laboratory of Environmental Simulation and Pollution Control (ESPC), PKU
• NTOU: Tin-Yam Chan, Kuo-Ping Chiang, Wen-Chen Chou
• XMU (MEL): Xinhong Wang, Dazhi Wang, Kejian Wang, Haizheng Hong, Xiaolin Li
• CityU (SKLMP/BCH): Doris Au, Paul K.S. Lam
• PKU (ESPC/SEE): Min Hu, Yi Huang, Zhijun Wu, Song Guo
• Microbial Ecology
• Marine Pollution
• Environmental Impact Assessment and Human Health Risk Assessment
• Interaction of Ocean, Earth and Atmospheric Interface
• Dr. Mark Grygier, National Taiwan Ocean University
• Dr. Min Hu, Peking University
• Dr. Bangqin Huang, Xiamen University
• Dr. Yi Huang, Peking University
• Dr. Robert Sanders, Temple University, USA
• Dr. Annelie Skoog, University of Connecticut, USA
• Dr. Xinhong Wang , Xiamen University
• Postgraduate (doctoral and master students) with limited senior undergraduate, and professionals working in the area of Ecotoxicology, Chemistry, Biology, Environmental Science, Fishery Management, Oceanic and Atmospheric Science are welcome to attend the summer school.
• The number of participants will be limited to 50, including NTOU (7), XMU (7), SKLMP (7), PKU (7), and 22 from other institutions
Fees & Financial Support
• No registration fee is charged for qualified applicants. Fees for lectures and field trip will be covered by organizing committee.
• Sponsor by Center of Excellence for the Ocean (National Taiwan Ocean University), State Key Laboratory of Marine Environmental science (Xiamen University), State Key Laboratory in Marine Pollution and Department of Biology and Chemistry (City University of Hong Kong), State Key Joint Laboratory of Environmental Simulation and Pollution Control (Peking University).
• Accommodation fees in Keelung will be covered by the organizing committee.
• A complete application form, including an updated CV and a personal statement of research interests, and a reference letter from advisor / supervisor should be submitted to the Summer School Secretariats by e-mail: email@example.com (IMPORTANT: the application deadline for Xiamen University students is 27 Apr 2018).
Education and Outreach
• Interactive workshop will be given to discuss how to present scientific concepts to public.
Center of Excellence for the Oceans, National Taiwan Ocean University
Miss Yi-Hui CHEN（陳怡慧）2, Pei-Ning Road, Keelung, Taiwan
Tel: (886) 2 24622192#5281 (886) 2 24636954 Fax: (886) 2 24636964
State Key Laboratory of Marine Environmental Science, Xiamen University
Ms Vera SHI（施薇）
Zhou Long Quan Building, Xiamen University Xiang'an Campus, Xiamen
Tel: (86) 592 2186039 Fax: (86) 592 2184101
Summer School web page: